Friday, June 27, 2008

Timeline: Simon's 1st Day

Since I have some downtime, now would be a good time to fill in some details. I'll start with a timeline of the Big Day:

  • 10:05 AM or so - Nancy's water broke while she was at work here at the Hospital. Not a bad place to be, really.
  • 10:09 AM - Nancy called me at work to let me know, and told me to get home and get the bags.
  • 10:10 AM - I freaked out, mostly internally ;-)
  • 10:55 AM - I arrived at the room, and found Nancy very uncomfortable and having very little time between contractions.
  • 11:35 AM (approx) - She bit me.
  • 12:00 PM - Much needed and appreciated epidural. Also, found that after being 1cm at check-in, now at 5cm.
  • 2:30 PM or so - Surprising nearly everyone, Nancy was at 10cm. Time to push. Nancy pushed like a champion. She pushed like an athlete trying to set a personal best. She pushed like a Warrior Poet... You catch my drift. She was spectacular. It turned out that Simon's heart rate was a little on the slow side, because the cord was around his neck once. So, with a little help from some forceps...
  • 3:22 PM - Simon poked his head out, cried havoc, then fully entered this world of ours. I hope you like it, buddy!
  • 3:23 PM - The newly minted mother and father basked in the glory of our son. We marveled at how he is basically a tenuous emotion, wrapped in the most delicate flesh. His reactions are immediate and pure, unfiltered by any sense of self... and we love each one.
  • 25:73 - The concept of time lost meaning for Daddy. This was an unprecedented, seismic event in our previously familiar world, and the aftershocks are still being felt.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Congratulations, Erik and Nancy!! We can't wait to meet Simon.

Sarah said...

Nancy and Erik! Congratulations! I am soo thrilled for you both! He is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I can't wait to get my hands on this little guy for a snuggle! Let me know when you need a break--I am always available for the ADORABLE SIMON! Enjoy every moment! Love, Sarah

kelly kostman said...

Oh! He is perfect. I am so happy for you three. We can't wait to meet him.

Sassy said...

I LOVE your comment @ 3:23 p.m. about your new one. It is beautiful. I think you could be quoted on the way a new wee one forever changes you.. as a person and as a couple!!